Ryan Phillips wrote:

>The council should not vote on gleps are provide policy.  They should
>be there to handle the money and world-wide problems.
>
>The developers should drive innovation; not the council.
>
>As in all democracies things get done slowly.  We don't need a
>democracy within Gentoo, just a clear way of creating progress.

Just because we have some elections in our process don't make Gentoo a
democracy.
Since we don't have a leader to make the important decisions, we need
some other form of authority to do the job. A council is the best
solution to the decisional problem.
Obviously it has nothing to do with innovation. As always, this is the
realm of developers.

In the rest, I basically agree with avenj. No point in repeating what
Jon already said...