On 6/9/06, Chris Gianelloni <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Gentoo's standard operating procedure is to build packages as they were
intended and packaged from upstream.

+1

This means if the client and the
server for a particular package is in a single package, we should build
both by default.

No thanks.  That doesn't match the standard operating procedure
mentioned above.  By default, why don't we just build whatever
$UPSTREAM intended built by default?

It means that different packages will behave differently throughout
the tree, but that's okay, and is more Gentoo-like than your proposal.

To facilitate building the client portions only, the
use of the local "minimal" USE flag is allowed.

How will you support building the server-only portions of the package?
I don't want clients I don't need on my servers.  "client" and
"server" USE flags would appear to make much more sense here (for
packages that have any such clear distinction), and will play better
when USE-based DEPs become reality.

Best regards,
Stu