On Saturday 10 June 2006 01:33, Alec Warner wrote:
> > So we have two use flags - client and server. Here are the possabilities
> >
> > -client -server
> > +client -server
> > +client +server
> > -client +server
> >
> > Do we read -client -server and +client +server to mean the same thing?
> > If so the logic can read
> >
> > if use client || ! use server ; then
> >     # build client
> > fi
> > if use server || ! use client ; then
> >     # build server
> > fi
> >
> > How does portage stop us from doing that now?
>
> built_with_use is then incorrect, since for -client -server you really
> built both.

use client && build client
use server && build server

The problem here is that breaks existing ebuilds, which could be viewed as
equally bad.

But technically built_with_use isn't incorrect as the ebuild wasn't built with
it. To effectively use built_with_use you cannot assume that the flag does
what it says on the tin - you have to inspect the ebuild code you're
querying.

Prior history shows deps of db vs gdbm where if both or neither then db was
used, otherwise the flagged db was used.

Problems problems - soltutions that work with existing installs or do we just
bite the bullet and do

! use client && ! use server && die "must select either client or server"

Which kinda defeats the purpose of a clean install.

--
Roy Marples <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Gentoo/Linux Developer (baselayout, networking)