Chris Gianelloni wrote:
On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 22:05 +0100, Stuart Herbert wrote:
On 6/9/06, Chris Gianelloni <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Gentoo's standard operating procedure is to build packages as they were
intended and packaged from upstream.
+1

This means if the client and the
server for a particular package is in a single package, we should build
both by default.
No thanks.  That doesn't match the standard operating procedure
mentioned above.  By default, why don't we just build whatever
$UPSTREAM intended built by default?

That is *exactly* what I said.

It means that different packages will behave differently throughout
the tree, but that's okay, and is more Gentoo-like than your proposal.

Except that you're just saying exactly what I said, just in different
words.

To facilitate building the client portions only, the
use of the local "minimal" USE flag is allowed.
How will you support building the server-only portions of the package?

I honestly never bothered to consider it, and really don't care.
Someone else can come up with that idea.  The problem with using two USE
flags is what do you do when someone chooses neither?

It will build the $UPSTREAM default?

And btw, i like the server and client use flag idea.

+1