Stuart Herbert wrote:
> On 6/25/06, Donnie Berkholz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> This topic has come up in the past, and I'd like to revive it once
>> again. The gentoo-dev list has gotten a lower and lower signal to noise
>> ratio over the past year or two, and it's difficult to dig out the stuff
>> that's truly required reading.
>
> What's noise to you is signal to others.  For example, my interest is
> servers, so all of your X.org posts are mostly noise to me, but to
> others it's essential signal.  Same goes for the scientific re-org
> recently discussed.  And I'm sure the same goes for PHP & webapp
> stuff.

Exactly. More stuff you don't care about is more noise. I agree with
that too. Rather than reading 50 posts about X crap, wouldn't you rather
just look at a single announcement?

>> I propose that all need-to-know announcements and decisions be posted to
>> a separate, moderated (or restricted posting) gentoo-dev-announce list
>> to ensure that no developers lose track of what really matters.
>
> I think a -dev-announce ML is a good idea, with reply-to set to -dev.
> But I also think you're over-exaggerating the situation by a long way,
> sorry.

I'm glad you have your opinion. I don't have the time to sit and browse
through all the arguments between 2-3 people that go on for 50-100 posts
or more as they fall more and more off-topic, so I would like to know if
there's any conclusion without wasting my time on that.

My options are either missing important announcements or creating this
list. I would prefer the list.

Thanks,
Donnie