On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 15:27:14 -0700
Josh Saddler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> > On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 22:10:48 +0200 Jakub Moc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote: | > Not true. According to the 2006.0 x86 profile, for
> > example, you're | > required to have ">=sys-devel/gcc-3.3.4-r1".
> > There is no requirement | > that 3.4 be installed.
> > |
> > | Yeah, that's not what I've been talking about at all, what's your
> > | point? I was saying that gcc-3.4 and better is stable everywhere
> > | where it's needed. How does it change that 3.3 is dead as a nail
> > in a | lamproom door and users should switch to something that we
> > actually | can support?
> >
> > Tradition for toolchain stuff has always been that anything allowed
> > by the profile is considered acceptable for general use. So, if
> > users shouldn't be using 3.3, the profile should be changed to say
> > so. Until then there's no obligation to upgrade.
> >
> Then it seems like that 2006.0 x86 profile should be updated (without
> waiting for 2006.1 to be released). Dunno if other arches have to run
> such legacy gcc versions, but the logical thing is to point to 3.4.x
> instead on x86.

I don't believe retro-actively modifying the 2006.0 profile is a good
idea in general. The profile currently says that for x86, gcc
must be ">=sys-devel/gcc-3.3.4-r1" - if you do

# emerge >=sys-devel/gcc-3.3.4-r1

on a current tree you'll get a much higher version.  Still, it's up to
releng if they wish to change it.

--
Kevin F. Quinn