On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 09:54:18AM +0200, Simon Stelling wrote:
> Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> >For example: mplayer
> >It has it's gui-less player and an gtk-based frontend in one package.
> >We should split this into two packages: mplayer and gmplayer.
> >The chances to get this done in the upstream *before* some major
> >distro like gentoo does the split by its own are quite low.
>
> Not quite true. In reality, they're just the same. mplayer simply checks
> whether it was called as mplayer or gmplayer. So you not only have two
> programs in one package, but even in one binary. Changing this behaviour
> has nothing to do with packaging and is really upstream's responsibility,
> IMHO.

Additionally... once you start down that path, the changes to pkgs
become less then minor.  Some are simple, some ain't.

Personally, I hate that approach- ignoring any political/warring
idiocy, my main issue with debian is the choice to split upstream
packages into multiple sub packages.  Makes things a pain in the ass
to what you want/need and makes for fun lock-step dependencies between
the subpackages.

~harring