On Fri, 2006-08-11 at 16:46 +0200, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
> N -1 arch dev's comfort against N arch devs' annoyance[1].

<big snip>

> [1] Note that I am aware that not all other-arch devs might experience
> inline `emerge info` for other arches as annoying.

I am on the alpha, amd64, and x86 arch teams.  I have found that even
emails from architectures I'm not currently looking at tend to have a
great significance.  It seems to me that most of the failures are
USE-flag related more than architecture specific.  As I said, the best
solution that I can see to do *both* reducing junk and still keeping the
information inline is to have the ATs only add emerge --info on
failures, and to just mention the architecture and *relevant" USE on
success.

ex.

gcc 4.1.1 works on x86 with the following:

USE="gtk nls -bootstrap -build -doc -fortran -gcj -hardened -ip28
-ip32r10k -mudflap -multislot -nocxx -objc -objc++ -objc-gc -test
-vanilla"

This still gives us most of the pertinent information without the rest
of the "spam" of emerge --info.  It makes the emails from bugzilla still
usable for those of us that don't waste the time to open up bugzilla for
every bug.  I do most of my bug management via email.  I open the bug
*only* when I need to comment, or after I've performed the work
requested.  Having to open the bug every time would be a complete waste
of time for me.  Much more so than simply *deleting* an email that
doesn't pertain to me, or scrolling past unimportant information.

I would find that this change would be disruptive to my ability to work
on these architecture teams.  As stated before, sometimes another
architecture's problem can point you at something to test.  If a certain
USE combination doesn't work on x86, wouldn't you want to test it on
hppa specifically to make sure that it isn't a global issue?  I know
that I sure test any combinations from $other_arches when testing for a
given $arch, if they've reported a failure.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Strategic Lead