Zac Medico wrote:
Hi everyone,

I've written a patch for portage [1] that implements per-package default USE
flags at
both the ebuild and profile levels (discussed a couple of months ago [2] on this
list).  At the ebuild level, default flags are specified in IUSE with a +
prefix as
described in bug #61732 [3].  At the profile level, I've added support for
package.use which behaves like /etc/portage/package.use that everyone is
familiar
with.  The intention is that the IUSE defaults will be used for default flags
that
should be enabled regardless of profile.  Then, package.use will be used for
flags
that might vary depending on the profile.  For example, a server profile might
enable
server flags and a desktop profile might enable client flags.

Aside from being package specific, the per-package default USE flags behave
much like
USE flags that are currently listed in profiles' make.defaults.  The flags are
stacked incrementally as usual.  The ebuild level defaults are at the bottom of
the
stack, followed by make.defaults, and finally package.use.  The user can
override
these new flags in the same was as make.defaults USE flags could always be
overridden
(make.conf and package.use).

Should we include support in portage for one or both types of per-package
default USE
flags?  If support is included for IUSE defaults now, we won't be able to use
them in
the tree until after a waiting period or an EAPI bump [4].

I would go for the EAPI bump. Even then I think it would be smart to wait a short while for packages to use this as we ensure that the supporting portage version is stable.

Paul