On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 09:24:52 -0500 Andrew Gaffney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
| Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
| > On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 02:40:59 -0700 Zac Medico <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
| > wrote:
| > | At the profile level, I've added support for package.use
| > | which behaves like /etc/portage/package.use that everyone is
| > | familiar with.  The intention is that the IUSE defaults will be
| > | used for default flags that should be enabled regardless of
| > | profile.
| >
| > Isn't that why we have base profiles? It's kinda icky moving that
| > metadata partially into ebuilds IMO...
|
| Are you saying you like a bunch of php-only USE flags (I'm not
| picking on php...it was just the first that came to mind) being in
| the default USE in the profile?

Yes. It's better than them being hidden away in individual ebuilds,
especially when they stop being PHP specific.

| Do you also like the nofoo flags?

No. You know that.

| AFAIK, previous discussions said
| that the per-ebuild default USE would go in the USE stacking order
| above make.conf and below package.use, so that USE="-*" wouldn't
| remove the default USE flags for the particular ebuild but the user
| could still disable it via package.use if they *really* wanted to.

Which is nasty. Anyone using -* should really get -*.

--
Ciaran McCreesh
Mail                : ciaranm at ciaranm.org
Web                 : http://ciaranm.org/