On Monday 06 November 2006 18:27, Matthew Snelham wrote:
> > In 1.13, we've removed the variable from /etc/conf.d/rc and it's now
> > forced to /lib/rcscripts/init.d which is safe as /lib is always on the
> > same partition as /.
>
> From a filesystem usage point of view though, storing actively changing
> state data on /lib is ugly.  The tmpfs /lib/rcscripts/init.d overlay
> solution for a ro / works, but as long as tmpfs magic is needed, can't it
> be written to /var after localmount?

It could be written to /var at the end of an rc.
However, you then have to guarantee that /var is always available too and that
may not always be the case as some people want to have /var net mounted or
something equally silly :)

/lib may be ugly, but it's also guaranteed which is what I'm more interested
in.

Thanks

--
Roy Marples <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Gentoo Developer (baselayout, networking)