Petteri Räty wrote:
> Jim Ramsay wrote:
> > ECLASS="gkrellm-plugin"
> > INHERITED="$INHERITED $ECLASS"
>
> No need to set INHERITED yourself any more either. Ciaran already
> pointed out ECLASS.

Indeed, thanks for that!

They just appeared automagically when I did 'vim foo.eclass'  I wonder where
that comes from...

> > gkrellm-plugin_pkg_setup() {
> >     if ! built_with_use app-admin/gkrellm X && \
> >             ! has X ${IUSE}; then
> >             eerror "This plugin requires the X frontend of
> > gkrellm." eerror "Please re-emerge app-admin/gkrellm with USE=\"X\""
> >             die "Please re-emerge app-admin/gkrellm with
> > USE=\"X\"" fi
> > }
>
> How useful is the X use flag in gkrellm? Just thinking if it would be
> better to just remove the use flag and always build that code.

Well, gkrellm consists of two optional parts:

- gkrellmd which is a monitoring daemon, which does not require X
support at all.  It is meant for headless machines you would want to
monitor remotely.

- gkrellm2 which is the front-end which can monitor the local machine
and/or any machine running gkrellmd.

USE="X" builds both parts.
USE="-X" builds only the monitoring daemon.

I believe this is a useful distinction.

The plugins are only relevant when you have the GUI front-end in place,
except that there may be some plugins that have a gkrellmd-equivalent
part, in which case that ebuild should set IUSE="X" and do its own
checking.

I suppose the alternative would be to split the ebuild into 'gkrellm'
and 'gkrellmd' ebuilds, which would indeed remove the need for the
'built_with_use' check.  How is this normally done for other packages
that have, for example, both a client and server part?

--
Jim Ramsay
Gentoo/Linux Developer (rox,gkrellm)