Christel Dahlskjaer wrote:
> It looks like our social contract doesn't prohibit Gentoo from being
> dependent upon a single sponsor or corporation. In the interests of
> keeping Gentoo run by the developers rather than any outside party, how
> about the following addition to the Social Contract?
>
> <heading>We will be run by the Development Community</>
> Gentoo will be run by the development community. We will never allow
> ourselves to be reliant upon a single sponsor or corporation.

Er personally I think it's a nice mission statement, but it doesn't have
much meaning, and consequently little place in a `Social Contract'. After
all, Gentoo _is_ run by the devs, and I don't actually see how that could
change. Any corporation would firstly be mad to try and take it over since
the devs wouldn't have it. They don't even accept the authority of people
they voted for ;) Additionally, the consequent negative publicity would be
a PR nightmare; imagine the blog entries and the malevolence they'd
unleash!

As for getting into a situation of over-reliance, that's a good stance to
take, as an objective- not a statement of fact. Again, I don't think the
Council would let it get to that. Maybe it would be useful as one of your
objectives tho'.