On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 10:29:47AM -0500, Grant Goodyear wrote:
> > So, how about using this incident as an opportunity for a calm
> > discussion about the mandate and role of the proctors?  The proctors
> > clearly felt that they should shut down this thread _before_ things
> > got out of hand.

I whole-heartedly agree with this.

It is probably safe to assume that everyone would like Gentoo to find a
system that works to prevent and/or put out flames. In the process of
figuring out the proper way, we are bound to make mistakes. We can't
expect ourselves to come up with a complete and perfect plan in advance
and live happily ever after.

Why not just assume a mistake was made when you don't agree with
something like this and then either wait for the specified period or go
to the proctors mailing list to explain how you think it could have been
better handled?

Why would an action by the proctors like this one make you want to quit
Gentoo altogether? Suppose that after discussion the proctors would
agree with you that it should have been handled differently and that
they made a mistake, would that have had a lasting effect on your
motivation? I can't imagine it would have.

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 06:06:14PM +0200, Marien Zwart wrote:
> People really need to make up their mind about what the -dev ml *is*.
> If the proctors are not supposed to keep the discussions there mostly
> focused on technical matters and keep people from attacking each other
> (I quote again: "Clean the sand out of your pee-hole..."? does that
> really belong on a technical list like this?) then that should be made
> a lot more obvious than it currently is.

I agree that the proctors should just use their best insight to
determine if something is ok for a technical list. This will inevitably
mean that sometimes some posts will be incorrectly tagged as over the
line, but the worst that will do is to ruin a joke. Of course you'll be
annoyed that your joke was misunderstood, but for the good of the list
just suck it up and move along. It will not prevent this list from
fulfilling its purpose of being a place to discuss technical issues,
which is the most important thing if you ask me.

Regards,
Maurice.

--
Maurice van der Pot