Jeroen Roovers wrote:

> On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 15:28:04 +0100
> Steve Long <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> It maybe be Published by some group, but they seem to make no
>> restrictions whatsoever. As such, I'd personally feel quite happy
>> using it as-is; I don't think they much care either way :-)
>
> Hmmm. A license is *needed* as long as modifying/distributing the
> package is restricted by copyright. The as-is license specifically
> grants you the right to use the software it pertains to. Without an
> explicit license, you may not (ever) modify or distribute it. You would
> need to obtain permission from the copyright owner in that case -
> otherwise the normal copyright restrictions are in effect.

Sure but afaict they disavow all restrictions. In response (aiui) to the
standard question "What may we do with this?" the first line reads:
"You're allowed. You're a bozo."

"The BOZO Manifesto" takes up the rest of the document, wherein
"The Bozotic Software Foundation (hereafter referred to as "us" or
"you" or "everyone except Emacs-19")" imo stipulates that in effect the
users are part of the group holding publishing rights, or rather that the
code is public domain ("everyone except Emacs-19".)

> Again, to ask the copyright owner for a simple (written) statement
> saying how the software may be (freely or not) distributed and modified
> is currently the next step.

Agreed; I'm sure I've seen that [EMAIL PROTECTED] addy on other software if
manson is
non-responsive. An email counts as written ofc, although a gpg sig might be
advisable. (Although I do not think this particular case merits such
caution.. but then, I'm a bozo ;)