Hi,

when setting up LDAP Pam authentication I encountered a
problem that seems to be neither Slapd- nor
nss_ldap-specific.

When running the init script there comes up an error that
clutters up my syslog with a lot of useless error messages:

  @(#) $OpenLDAP: slapd 2.3.38 (Oct 18 2007 22:12:26) $         [EMAIL
PROTECTED]:/var/tmp/portage/net-nds/openldap-2.3.38/work/openldap-2.3.38/servers/slapd
  nss_ldap: failed to bind to LDAP server ldap://127.0.0.1: Can't contact LDAP
server
  nss_ldap: failed to bind to LDAP server ldap://127.0.0.1/: Can't contact LDAP
server
  nss_ldap: failed to bind to LDAP server ldapi://%2fvar%2frun%2fldapi_sock/:
Can't contact LDAP server
  nss_ldap: could not search LDAP server - Server is unavailable
  WARNING: No dynamic config support for database ldbm.
  slapd starting

I found out that the Gentoo init script activates the
options "-u ldap -g ldap". Without them, the error messages
do not appear. Therefore I suppose the slapd daemon tries to
obtain passwd/shadow information for ldap via nss_ldap. At
least when I say "compat" in nsswitch.conf, the error
message doesn't appear as well.

The thing I really wonder about is that the lines in
nsswitch.conf say

  passwd:    files ldap
  shadow:    files ldap
  group:     files ldap

The files should be searched first. The "ldap" information
is present in all three of them. I even tried to chown the
shadow file to ldap but this didn't save me from the weird
messages either.

I detected I have a machine where this didn't happen. Then I
upgraded from glibc-2.5-r4 to glibc-2.6.1 ...

I tried to stuff log statements into glibc's nss part but
I'm not experienced enough in glibc to do that in finite
time.

Could this it a real bug in glibc or any of its patches?
Does anybody experience the same behaviour?

Thanks in advance,

Bertram

--
Bertram Scharpf