On 10/22/07, Michael Hanselmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 02:12:29PM +0200, Bertram Scharpf wrote:
> > Therefore I suppose the slapd daemon tries to obtain passwd/shadow
> > information for ldap via nss_ldap.
>
> Yes, it does. Therefore, use something like the following line in
> /etc/ldap.conf:
>
>   nss_initgroups_ignoreusers root,ldap,cron,portage

ew, what if root is in some ldap groups? :)

But seriously while that most likely works, it's only hiding the
problem, not solving it.

Do other distributions just not run ldap as an unprivileged user?

We run slapd as 'ldap' at work, but do not have this problem (but we
are not running gentoo, obviously, our libraries are old and crufty).
I know robbat2 knows more about this problem, it just seems odd that
it's only us.

-Alec