On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 00:43:08 -0700
Chris Gianelloni <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I would agree that RDEPEND should likely be installed prior to
> pkg_preinst to satisfy the dependency.  After all, PDEPEND is "good
> enough" for doing packages that aren't required at
> pkg_preinst/pkg_postinst.

It's likely to, but not guaranteed to be.

> We definitely don't want to install DEPEND at the pkg_* stages, so I'd
> say the requirement there, if you're asking, is prior to src_*, if
> that matters.

If the alternatives are not being able to install from a binary at all
due to circular dependencies, or being able to install from a binary
using DEPEND to satisfy circular dependencies, which would you take?

> I'd love to have some kind of functionality to allow some kind of
> "optional" dependencies.  The only real way that I could see this
> working is if we tracked what was installed as an optional dependency,
> and not reinstall it if it has been removed the next time the
> depending package is merged.

Sort of like what kdebuild has for suggested dependencies, but less
strong?

--
Ciaran McCreesh