Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 18:38:06 +0200
"Marijn Schouten (hkBst)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Every package dependency in DEPEND is installed and usable before
src_unpack starts, right? So is the question here whether or not they
can be uninstalled right before pkg_{pre,post}inst starts?

If we're using binaries, DEPEND is usually ignored.
But if we're using binaries then src_unpack isn't called so this is a moot statement and the O.P.'s statement is correct.

I don't know what the general use of pkg_preinst is, but in
pkg_postinst the package itself should be runnable, so its RDEPENDS
should be installed and usable at this point. So perhaps we should
define that "usable" means "each of its RDEPENDs is installed and has
had its pkg_postinst function run". The recursion of that definition
then comes from the requirement that RDEPENDs should be usable before
pkg_postinst starts running.

No good. That prevents RDEPEND <-> RDEPEND cycles from being solved,
and the package manager has to be able to solve that.

Can you give a concrete example? Not a foo and bar or a and b example. But a real package example. Because there are a few packages in the tree which call themselves in pkg_postinst