Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 21:45:13 -0700
Donnie Berkholz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I'd go with RDEPEND only. Any other interpretation results in
installing build-time-only packages along with a binpkg, which
doesn't seem to make sense.

That's definitely not what we want. Only a package's DEPENDs have to be
installed and usable when that package is built. Its RDEPENDs don't
have to be installed until that package is treated as usable.

For why this matters:

cat/a-1: RDEPEND cat/b
cat/b-1: RDEPEND cat/a

This is solvable. If package managers can't solve this, they can't
install Gnome off a stage 3...

I think Donnie (and I) are both looking for concrete examples here. You're claiming GNOME can't be installed so please give us an example with in-tree packages where this breaks.