On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 8:57 PM, Ciaran McCreesh
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[...]
>> I didn't understand you. Even if the external binary can't call die,
>> what's to prevent the caller from dying based on the return value of
>> the called binary?
>
> Then we're back to having people do dobin || die, which is precisely
> what we're trying to solve.

Not really. Can't dobin be like so:

fail() {
    if hasq strict FEATURES; then
        die "$@"
    else
        ewarn "QA Notice: [EMAIL PROTECTED] blah foo"
}

dobin() {
    dobin.sh "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" || fail "dobin failed"
}

>> It should not be necessary to define a new EAPI to make sure packages
>> are not broken.
>
> Yes it should. It's a change in behaviour in functionality upon which
> quite a lot of things depend.

This is not functionality. It is the lack thereof. Making this part of
an EAPI makes it opt-in, which it shouldn't be. It is important for QA
and should be mandatory for all ebuilds.

Regards,
--
Arun Raghavan
(http://nemesis.accosted.net)