On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 05:38:34PM -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> On 02:03 Tue 14 Oct     , Jose Luis Rivero wrote:
> >
> > There are some others sceneries but are not so common as the one presented
> > could be. Any decent solution for this case?
>
> There are only a few obvious ones, you'll have to pick which one you
> like best. Most of the other options basically duplicate these in some
> way or add more work to them for negligible gain:
>
> - Backport the ebuild from EAPI=2 to EAPI=0

EAPI-2 to EAPI-0 could imply lot of changes (not talking about what is
going to happen when we release new and more feature rich EAPIs), and
changes usually come with bugs. The ebuild is committed directly to stable
implies bugs in stable, which for me is a no-go.

> - Backport the security patch to the EAPI=0 ebuild

Which sometimes is going to be impossible, require lot of work, and we
fall into the risk of bad backported patches when non trivial backport
patches are needed (which turns into buggy patches in the stable branch)

> - Stabilize portage quickly

Most of the times this is not going to be possible. Seems to me that EAPI
changes are not trivial to PMs and need some kind of decent testing
period.

Thanks.

--
Jose Luis Rivero <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>