While at it, it might be useful to have someghing like compiler-use file ( like package.use) for per-package compiler version and FLAGS to be used.

It is annoying to have emerge -eD world fail because some package requires specific compiler version or because gcc-3.4 can't be compiled with -march=barcelona or with -combine CFLAGS... There should also be an option for the user to match compiler with compiler version, used to compile some other package. Perhaps with naming full name of the package instead of compiler name and version string in some file, like /etc/portage/package-infra.use or something like that.

That approach could also be used for selecting specific version of perl/python/ruby/autotools/whatnot.