On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 22:51:11 +0100
Patrick Lauer <patr...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> > > ... lots of new features and a few bugs that get fixed the next
> > > day? Hey, that sounds quite bad. And maybe some new herd testers?
> > > How rude!
> >
> > I don't see the correlation between EAPI bumps and new herd testers.
>
> Well, ciaran said that the same thing happens that always happens
> when lots of ebuilds get changed. Last time I saw that happen (think
> KDE4) we got some nice herd testers plus a new dev or two, so I am
> confused too.

And a massive amount of breakage, some of which still isn't fixed, yes.
Have a look at bugzilla sometime.

> Anyway. Most of the "porting" effort (assuming no other issues
> sneaking in) would be adding a "EAPI=1" line to ebuilds, which could
> be done "lazily" on version bumps. There's no rush to get it killed
> now now now, but in a year we might be at EAPI 5, and then I don't
> want to be the one writing the docs that split apart what features
> are where and what syntax is valid and all that.

Fortunately, you won't be. As the person who probably will be, I can
assure you that killing off EAPI 0 won't help in the slightest. It
won't mean we can remove all mention of EAPI 0 from the documentation,
since package managers need to support EAPIs indefinitely for
uninstalls.

--
Ciaran McCreesh