On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 2:02 PM, Patrick Lauer <patr...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Saturday 21 March 2009 21:55:20 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
>> On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 21:53:16 +0100
>>
>> Patrick Lauer <patr...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> > Because, as you have noticed before, developers get confused which
>> > eapi has which features available. And eapi1 is a superset of eapi0,
>> > so we don't have to rewrite tons of things.
>>
>> So? When people do new things, they can move the EAPI forward. That's
>> not a reason to modify existing things.
>
> The added complexity of having a dozen eapis does not offer any benefits to
> the average developer. Limiting the amount of complexity tends to reduce the
> amount of errors, be it simple developer mistakes or unexpected interaction
> errors between different EAPIs in the package manager.

But you are still talking around the issue.  Your logic is that "lots
of EAPIs mean its harder to write ebuilds."
I buy that argument (complexity implies difficult, no problem!) but it
is a very generic argument.  What about the complexity of many EAPIs
are developers having issues with?  What can we do to mitigate these problems?

Are people using IUSE_DEFAULTS in EAPI0?  Are they not bumping the
EAPI when adding src_configure to an ebuild?  You claim there are all
kinds of problems, I want to hear about them so we can fix the tools
(aka repoman) to help point out where developers go wrong so they can
fix them.

Over 80% of the tree is still EAPI0, so deprecating it seems a bad
choice at this time, even for a 12-16 month timeline.

>> > What kind of accident do you expect to happen?
>>
>> The same kind that always happens when lots of ebuilds get changed.
>
> ... lots of new features and a few bugs that get fixed the next day? Hey, that
> sounds quite bad. And maybe some new herd testers? How rude!

I don't see the correlation between EAPI bumps and new herd testers.

> So what technical reason(s) do we have to keep archaic EAPIs around forever?

None, luckily this is more than a technical project ;)