Ciaran McCreesh wrote:

Had we gone with any of the other proposals a year ago, we'd be waiting
a year every time a new change came along.

If the Council were not a fan of GLEP 55, they would have voted against
it.

Why? If there is no reason to move forward with haste why not just leave it out there and see if somebody comes up with a better idea or see if circumstances change? If the perception was that there were a pressing need for forward movement on this chances are that somebody would have proposed an alternative GLEP and the council would have just approved that instead.