On 03/05/2010 11:54 AM, Peter Hjalmarsson wrote:

> I have start to question why should we care about overlays more then the
> actual portage tree?

My comments do not imply caring more about overlays than the actual
portage tree.

> Take for example the kernel or Xorg.
> They give themselves a period of time to clean up their own code (i.e.
> kernel-modules, xorg-drivers) and then they release it as stable and
> tell users/distributors to upgrade.
> They do not wait for nVidia/AMD/other out-of-tree drivers/modules to
> catch up.

This doesn't match the situation in question. This more closely matches
changing for example libX11 ABI.

> Now if we say we have someone managing an overlay, and this person do
> miss this warning/die for half an year, then I would say they have nott
> done their homework and they are on their own. I do not see why we
> should wait unreasonable long periods of time because there may be
> someone broken somewhere.

Because there is so little benefit from removing old functions. What is
so bad about having them grouped at the bottom of the file inside a
deprecated section?

Regards,
Petteri