On 03/18/2010 09:43 PM, Thomas Sachau wrote:

> So my vote goes for changing the dependency strings for affected packages.

Here's some thoughts on the matter:

- dev-lang/python is correct if the package works with all python
versions in tree

- in general we want new slots of packages like gcc being pulled in

Here's how we could change Portage behavior for pulling new slots that
are not strictly required:

- for packages in the world file install as soon as available

- for dependencies install the new slot if everything works with the new
slot

This would mean that Portage would stay with 2.6 as long as you have
something that doesn't work with 3.x installed.

Regards,
Petteri