On 03/18/2010 09:02 PM, Petteri Räty wrote:
> On 03/18/2010 09:43 PM, Thomas Sachau wrote:
>>
>> So my vote goes for changing the dependency strings for affected packages.
>>

> Here's some thoughts on the matter:
>
> - dev-lang/python is correct if the package works with all python
> versions in tree
>
> - in general we want new slots of packages like gcc being pulled in
>
> Here's how we could change Portage behavior for pulling new slots that
> are not strictly required:
>
> - for packages in the world file install as soon as available
>
> - for dependencies install the new slot if everything works with the new
> slot
>
> This would mean that Portage would stay with 2.6 as long as you have
> something that doesn't work with 3.x installed.
>
> Regards,
> Petteri

How do you detect this?
Also, what about a new slot for python-2? E.g. 2.7?
And do you want to add a special rule to portage just for the special case of
python instead of the
ebuilds/eclasses having the issue?

There is currently the additional issue with distutils.eclass, which does
directly add
"dev-lang/python" to the dependencies, if there is nothing additional defined.
So even e.g.
dev-libs/protobuf does pull in python-3*, also there is no indication, that it
will even work with
that version.

--
Thomas Sachau