On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 22:30:46 -0500
Steev Klimaszewski <st...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 3:28 PM, Ciaran McCreesh
> <ciaran.mccre...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 16:23:48 -0400
> > James Cloos <cl...@jhcloos.com> wrote:
> >> OK.  Let me rephrase.  Portage does not need to validate local
> >> changes.
> >
> > Sure it does. If it doesn't, and your local changes affect metadata,
> > horrible things happen.
>
> Why not check the mtime on the overlay, if it is older than last sync
> time, not invalid.

Because it can still be invalid if you do that. If you're using a repo
with pregenerated cache with an eclass from a different repo than the
one used do the pregenerating, the pregenerated cache is always invalid.

> >> If a user uses a local eclass to override one in portage or in some
> >> remote overlay s/he follows, it is his/er responsibility to update
> >> it when the original undergoes major renovation.
> >
> > Users aren't responsible...
>
> And doing everything we can to make them not be isn't going to teach
> them anything.

Which is why you design a system that just gets things right, rather
than one that relies upon users getting things right.

--
Ciaran McCreesh