On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 10:29 AM, Tobias Klausmann <klaus...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Mon, 20 Sep 2010, Michał Górny wrote:
>> William Hubbs <willi...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> > What about newnet.  Should we keep it at all?  If we do, should we put
>> > it behind a use flag which would be off by default?
>>
>> I insist on keeping it as I use it myself. The new approach seems more
>> desktop-targeted to me. The network script sets the domain name
>> and bonding, dhcpcd script starts dhcpcd (which can control more than
>> a single interface) and wpa_supplicant script is responsible for wifi.
>
> I'm with nightmorph: we should have exactly one way to configure
> networking (i.e. exactly one syntax).
>
> That said, switching to newnet would be a huge mess for everybody
> who runs servers: DHCP is uncommon there, WLAN is very unusual,
> as a result, they would not only have to switch the way they
> configure their nets (people don't like that kind of stuff if the
> machine is 400 miles away); they would also have to find a way to
> build their setups in the new "language". Servers tend to have
> more complicated setups network-wise than workstations (think
> firewalls, VPN endpoint, traffic observation, ...).

the same is true for everyone who already runs newnet (like me). in
fact, i do not even use the newnet conf.d stuff, but rather take
advantage of support for /etc/ifup.eth* in /etc/init.d/network. that
way i can configure the networking with iproute2 or any other tool
that i already know the syntax of. no need to learn ridiculously
convoluted array syntax foo for /etc/init.d/net.eth*.

so please just keep the network init script as a use flag or extra
package or something, so that one is not forced to use the old net
stuff (again).

P.S.: newnet does not in any way force you to use DHCP or WLAN or
anything like that, so please stop spreading misinformation.

-Bene