Tobias Klausmann dixit (2010-09-20, 20:34):

> On Mon, 20 Sep 2010, Benedikt Böhm wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 20, 2010, Tobias Klausmann <klaus...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > > who runs servers: DHCP is uncommon there, WLAN is very unusual,
> > > as a result, they would not only have to switch the way they
> > > configure their nets (people don't like that kind of stuff if the
> > > machine is 400 miles away); they would also have to find a way to
> > > build their setups in the new "language". Servers tend to have
> > > more complicated setups network-wise than workstations (think
> > > firewalls, VPN endpoint, traffic observation, ...).
> >
> > the same is true for everyone who already runs newnet (like me). in
> > fact, i do not even use the newnet conf.d stuff, but rather take
> > advantage of support for /etc/ifup.eth* in /etc/init.d/network. that
> > way i can configure the networking with iproute2 or any other tool
> > that i already know the syntax of. no need to learn ridiculously
> > convoluted array syntax foo for /etc/init.d/net.eth*.
> >
> > so please just keep the network init script as a use flag or extra
> > package or something, so that one is not forced to use the old net
> > stuff (again).
> >
> > P.S.: newnet does not in any way force you to use DHCP or WLAN or
> > anything like that, so please stop spreading misinformation.
>
> Still, newnet is geared towards such setups and it is reflected
> in the way it handles things. /This/ I meant by "language". And
> yes, going from complicated arrays to iproute2 syntax *is* a
> change that may blow up in your face, if you don't use those
> tools every day.

As far as I can see, oldnet (at least if you do modules="iproute2"
which most sane users probably do) is *also* basically iproute2
syntax, only wrapped in some arrays:

routes_Okno=( "default via 192.168.0.254"
              "default via 2001:foo:bar::1" )

I could add other typical iproute2 clauses to that config, like src
<ip>, or metric <n>. Same with the IP address clause.

Flexible, already documented. +1 for keeping oldnet.

--
[a]