On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 4:05 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.dun...@cox.net> wrote:
> You're very correct about portage getting confused if the existing
> packages are outdated, since the tarball would be dropping in untracked
> files.  At least in the past, portage wouldn't unmerge glibc or the like,
> but it certainly WOULD leave the untracked cruft around.

I wonder if there is a way to get around keeping cruft in the tree for
the sake of those who don't update often.

Something that comes to mind is having a binpkg repository for
everything in system - essentially a binpkg stage3.

I'll tinker with that a little, but if catalyst just uses emerge then
an easy way to generate this would be to add FEATURES=buildpkg to the
autogenerated stage3s.  Then we just need to mirror the binary
packages a little.

We should discourage users from using it except for rescue.  It would
be undesirable anyway since it would need to use stock use flags.

Rich