On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 16:55:23 +0300
Samuli Suominen <ssuomi...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> I dislike the IUSE="+static" some packages are currently doing to
> workaround this, instead of moving the needed shared libs to /
>
> I dislike the idea of pciutils and usbutils database(s) in
> non-standard location in / to keep udev working
>
> I dislike the idea of moving libglib-2.0, libdbus-1, libdbus-glib-1,
> and couple of dozen more libs to /
>
> I dislike the idea of maintaining and keeping track of the files in /
> using files from /usr. Does any of the PMs have check for this, like
> NEEDED entries? I can imagine this getting past the maintainers easily
> otherwise
>
> Most likely still not seeing the full picture here, and just
> scratching the surface...
> Despite that, I don't have any strong opinion on any of this, just
> need to know if I should start moving the files over

Honestly, I'd rather see system libs and apps being moved to /usr
rather than the opposite. IMO the benefit of getting a clear tree is
greater than benefits of having separate fs for 'system' and
'non-system' packages which actually tend to randomly depend one on
another.

What's the point of having shared /usr if you need to keep /bin, /lib,
/sbin in sync anyway? And considering the above, the number of files to
keep separate & synced is growing, and thus our potential / gets bigger
and bigger.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny