Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis posted on Tue, 02 Aug 2011 22:46:54
+0200 as excerpted:

> 2011-08-02 19:39:18 Ciaran McCreesh napisał(a):
>> On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 13:36:12 -0400 Jonathan Callen <a...@gentoo.org>
>> wrote:
>> > That statement needs one more qualification: "and doesn't use
>> > portage". Portage will (by default) remove files on uninstall even if
>> > they *do not* match the checksum recorded in the vdb.  This implies
>> > that most people will *not* see any issues due to something other
>> > than the package manager modifying the files behind the package
>> > manager's back.
>>
>> Ugh, seriously? When did that happen?
>
> http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/
portage.git;a=commit;h=a133cb89d5279df7febcd0c8ab3890e2ccfb897a

>> Maybe we need to spec VDB after all to avoid that kind of nonsense.
>
> I think that unmerge-orphans is a useful feature.

Indeed.  FEATURES=unmerge-orphans is optional which is good, but I'm glad
it's there.  I've no idea what the default is as I've had that on ever
since I saw the changelog entry where it was introduced.

That'd likely explain why I never had problems with lafilefixer tho.  I'd
guess the unmerge-orphans feature and lafilefixer appeared about the same
time, at least for ~arch.

Of course, I have FEATURES=fixlafiles set too, so it'd be handled by
portage automatically now if I didn't have (PKG_)INSTALL_MASK="*.la"
killing them but for libtool itself.