On 06-08-2011 16:17:32 -0400, James Cloos wrote:
> Your idea is a step in the right direction, but the ideal config would
> have a top level portage.git with sub-modules for each category, as well
> as for eclass, licenses, profiles and scripts.  Each category.git should
> have sub-modules for each package therein.

I believe the size of a repo (how much it contains) should depend on
what it is.  Some packages (like e.g. Mutt) live very well on their own,
I understand larger projects like GNOME and KDE prefer to have many
sub-components in one repo.

I don't necessarily think there should be a clear hierarchy, although
subtrees may require that.

> Within the profiles.git it *might* be reasonable for each directory in
> arch/ also to be a sub-modules.  Or not.  That should be dicussed.
>
> And the bureaucracy should be minimal.  Adding, changing or removing a
> submodule from its parent repo should only require a call for consensus
> among the devs, and not be pushed through a small set of devs on some
> given team.

Currently, all devs can add and remove (with notice) packages, so I
don't see why that would require a consensus with this model, suddenly.

> It may also be useful for the process which generates metadata/ to push
> out to a repo, too, just before syncing out to the rsync mirrors.

I don't understand what you mean by this.  Can you elaborate?

> Having each package in its own repo is a great idea.  But a simple
> recursive git pull to update the whole thing is highly desireable.
> Git submodules fit the bill perfectly.

I assumed something like this possible to be able to get "all" easily or
something.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level