On 06-08-2011 22:42:33 +0200, Krzysztof Pawlik wrote:
> To be honest I don't like that idea. I don't see any benefits from doing so:
>  - tree generation is dynamic - actually I think this is a disadvantage, it
> has
> a nice potential to eat a lot of resources on master rsync server, also having
> different "flavours" of the tree only brings in added complexity

To be honest, I don't see any problem there.  The rsync master server is
a modern machine.  Generating multiple trees, hardly takes more since
all repos in use are shared, of course.
With the prefix rsync tree generation [1] in mind, I think the extra
cost timewise aren't too bad either.

> So:
>  - having it all in single repository means that I need to care only about one
> thing, not around 14956 of them

subtrees would help you here

>  - git was designed to be efficient with large repositories, use this ability

I'm not claiming git is inefficient.  I think our current model is not
very flexible.  An alternatives like the one I proposed solves certain
problems that currently exist within Gentoo.

[1] http://stats.prefix.freens.org/timing-rsync0.png

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level