On 10/11/2011 10:28 PM, Mike Gilbert wrote:
> On 10/12/2011 12:54 AM, Zac Medico wrote:
>> On 10/11/2011 12:56 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
>>> Or go with a saner defaults...
>>
>> So, are any of the following sane?
>>
>> 1) Pull in updates for packages even though those packages won't be used
>> for anything.
>>

> Francisco raised a possibly valid point in his original message: though
> packages may not be currently used for anything, but they could contain
> un-patched security flaws.

If they contain something that's accessed at runtime, then they should
be in RDEPEND or PDEPEND, no exceptions.

> This seems pretty unlikely to me given the sorts of packages that are
> build-time-only deps, but it could be possible.

We can try to split up people who care about this into categories:

1) People who are "security conscious" or just plain paranoid can set
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps=y" to ease their minds.

2) People who want all build-time deps up to date at all times, in case
they decide to rebuild something on a whim, can set
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps=y" to keep everything up to date. This
is what I do.

3) People who think they might use a particular package and want to
ensure that it's the latest version can add that package to the world
file. They can look for possible candidates in the output of `emerge
--pretend --depclean --with-bdeps=n`.
--
Thanks,
Zac