On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 12:31:24 -0500
Michael Orlitzky <mich...@orlitzky.com> wrote:

> >> It doesn't parse the script completely, it executes line-by-line,
> >> so we can bail out early.
> >
> > How can you tell that this behaviour won't be changed in a future
> > bash version?
> >

> Who's to say that in the future my computer won't be made out of
> delicious ice cream, eliminating the need for EAPIs entirely?
>
> Chances are, this would break thousands of scripts, so we hope they
> wouldn't do it. If it does happen, we either deal with it then, or
> don't upgrade to that version of bash -- the same as we would do with
> any other massive breaking change.

Thousands of scripts? So... you're saying that people actually use
thousands of scripts which have invalid syntax...

Well, one thing I can think of now is makeself and similar. Those are
indeed a quite good argument.

But the main point here is that at some point someone may want to use
a non-bash syntax for ebuilds. Or some kind of optional bash extension.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny