On 03/09/2012 10:33 AM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
> On 03/09/12 13:02, James Broadhead wrote:
>> On 9 March 2012 17:31, Michael Orlitzky <mich...@orlitzky.com> wrote:
>>> At any rate, I'm now convinced that we all want GLEP 55, but with a
>>> different name.
>>
>> I think that moving the data to the filename is probably a better
>> approach than semi- or repeat parsing, but I prefer preserving the
>> .ebuild extension, and think that eapi should be specified similarly
>> to ebuild revision, as a suffix. for instance:
>>
>> app-foo/bar-1.0.0-r1.ebuild # EAPI0 (or the highest EAPI prior to the
>> new schema)
>> app-foo/bar-1.0.0-r1-e1.ebuild
>> app-foo/bar-1.0.0-r1-e99.ebuild
>>

> One of the benefits of GLEP 55 naming is that old package managers won't
> try to parse them. So, for example, if we put new features in,
>
>   app-foo/bar-1.0.0.ebuild-5
>
> portage from 2003 won't try to source it.

Every software product has an end of life. I think if a system hasn't
been updated in the last 2 years or so, then it's fair to assume that it
will never be updated. So, all relevant versions of portage should
simply show a warning message if the encounter an ebuild name such as
"app-foo/bar-1.0.0-r1-e99.ebuild".
--
Thanks,
Zac