On 3/10/12 7:50 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
Well, I'm trying not to take sides in that war.  Unless we want to
patch the living daylights out of upsteam it seems almost moot.

It is not a matter about siding. If our boot process requires glib or dbus we are sore idiots if we aren't either of them available by that time.

Luckily we do not *need* that at boot time but we can use daemons leveraging it after the file system hosting them is mounted.

Same could be said for udev rules. If udev by itself can survive on the bare / till we mount our filesystem we are fine, if it does need to access the pci-id database we have either to provide it in a way or another.

I'm not even so much interested in making dracut easy to use.  I'd
just appreciate it if there were even a single sentence written on
each of its modules and options, let alone some kind of coherent guide
to how to make it all work.

That would be great.

There is a guide out there, but it hasn't really kept pace with the
very rapidly evolving tool, and it doesn't really cover all the
nuances.

Ouch.

Another useful thing would be to update our official RAID+LVM guide so
that when you're done following it your system will boot.

indeed.