On 11.03.2012 04:53, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 9:27 PM, William Hubbs <willi...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> here is the udev 181 unmasking news item.
>>
>> If all goes well, this will be committed to the tree  on 3/14 UTC.
>
> I guess this might be OK for unstable, but before this goes stable we
> really need to improve the docs around this.  As far as I can tell
> neither the genkernel nor dracut docs have specific instructions about
> how to handle mounting /usr.  Since having a separate /usr is often
> the result of having a more complex configuration (nfs, lvm, mdraid,
> etc), instructions explaining how things work and how to handle
> variations is pretty important.  Perhaps genkernel automagically does
> the right thing in some cases, but I know that dracut does not unless
> you properly configure it.  I doubt either tool will handle more
> complex situations without some scripting.

The Display-If-Installed atom shows the news item to stable users once
it's committed. I am not sure at what point does Portage show it when
the atom is >= so we might want to evaluate the options. In the long
term we really should have a new revision that enables something like
Display-If-Installed && Display-If-Unmasked.

Regards,
Petteri