Il 27/03/2012 20:53, Ian Stakenvicius ha scritto:

On 27/03/12 02:47 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 2:34 PM, Alexandre Rostovtsev
<tetrom...@gentoo.org>
The partitioning scheme is something that the user needs to
decide on *before* getting Gentoo up and running. After the user
had finished installing the operating system, it's too late to
inform him about the advantages of a separate /usr/portage.
Yes and no (if you have free space, you could easily move
/usr/portage - some other changes are harder).

However, you could extend this line of argument to raid, lvm, and
even stuff like the use of systemd or an alternative package
manager.  All of those things are much easier to implement if you
just start out with them.

I'm all for creating a wiki to talk about some alternative
options. Perhaps even link to it at the start of the handbook in
the intro (if you're not in a rush and want to read about more
advanced configurations, check out ...).

However, I tend to agree that the handbook should be a
nearly-foolproof no-frills Gentoo installation.

You know, we have "Code Listing 2.1: Filesystem Example" in Section 4,
we could always adjust that to have a /usr/portage partition in it
(take a bit of space away from /home, or something)

It doesn't recommend/require anything, but when users see it they'll
think about it.

Boh ... IMHO /usr/portage should be a squashfs filesystem, rsynced from some kind server out there, auto(un)mounted, so it releases resources after use. No needs for any additional partition (which sound kinda lame for a package manager)

However the devs are right here, handbook should be stripped down, not bloated with details that could be fulfilled later

Rgds,
Francesco