On 04/11/2012 07:13 AM, Steven J Long wrote:
Zac Medico wrote:

On 04/10/2012 07:28 PM, Steven J Long wrote:
I suppose you could script that, but again, it just seems like a lot of
bother to implement an "alternative" that doesn't actually gain anything
over the traditional setup (plus making sure that partitions are mounted
before udev starts.)

At least in the case of udev, we gain from not having to maintain a fork.

"Making sure that partitions are mounted before udev starts" is a lot less
of an ask than setting up an initramfs, and changing the way we've worked
for years. It's what you proposed: an earlymounts init script, or patches to
Gentoo initscripts to do the same thing. Neither involves any patches to
udev proper, so no fork needs to be maintained.

It's not generally practical to do mounts prior to starting udev, since udev can may be needed to create the device nodes that are needed for for performing the mounts. Maybe a subset of users can get away with it by relying on devtmpfs and having the drivers built into the kernel, but that won't work for everyone.
--
Thanks,
Zac