On 04/29/2012 12:04 AM, Luca Barbato wrote:
> On 28/04/12 23:44, Michał Górny wrote:
>> I have already opened bugs for many of them. But the list will increase
>> in time, and we'll either move a lot of libraries to /lib* or decide to
>> go the other way.
>
> repeat after me EARLY BOOT, as in initramfs. In initramfs you don't have
> /usr with everything there because you are supposed to mount it. If you
> need something (e.g. a mount helper using libs living somewhere) you
> need to put it there, if you don't have a way to be aware of which is
> where then you'll have users experiencing problems.
>
> The proper way to fix it is either fix the programs or find replacement
> that have less or no dependencies.

Maybe it's reasonable for the initramfs to utilize a config file from
/etc of the future root filesystem, but having in depend on files from
the future /usr seems like a strange idea. Wouldn't it make more sense
to bundle all dependencies into the initramfs, so that it's mostly
self-contained, rather than have it be dependent on files from the
future root filesystem (or future /usr)?
--
Thanks,
Zac