On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 12:59:22AM +0000, Duncan wrote

> It may very well be that a fork is thus required.  I guess we wait and
> see.  But I don't see the kde folks being willingly subsumed into a
> gnomeos black hole, and time and again, floss history has demonstrated
> that when there's an immediate need, forks do occur.  Both gnome and kde
> have their forks in recent history, xorg is a fork, there's the glibc and
> gcc history, etc.  If integration gets too close, a fork /will/ happen.

  There already is a lightweight udev implementation ("mdev") included
in busybox.  Given busybox's philisophy and goals, we can be certain
that mdev will remain lightweight.  I'm not a programmer or developer,
but I was annoyed enough to start what became
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev  BTW, there is a sort of "udev rules"
equivalant.  See http://git.busybox.net/busybox/plain/docs/mdev.txt

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>