On Wed, 4 Jul 2012 19:46:47 +0200
Tobias Klausmann <klaus...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Recently, I have again bumped into the question whether one
> should compile the kernel as root. One of the things that puzzles
> me is why almost every HowTo, blog post and book recommends
> building as non-root -- yet basically no distribution /helps/ the
> user with doing that.
>
> I've discussed this with a few people on #gentoo-dev and they've
> provided valuable insight (thanks AxS, Chainsaw and WilliamH), so
> I have gathered the results so far here:
>
> http://blog.i-no.de/archives/2012/07/index.html#e2012-07-04T19_28_32.txt
>
> Feel free to comment (ideally here). Note that I'm aiming for a
> solution that is not (overly) Gentoo-specific.

There's a very simple yet custom solution I'm using. Shortly saying:
checkout the kernel git to /usr/src/linux and chown to your user. As
far as it goes, it's superior to having kernel sources installed by
ebuilds.

I just have to remember to do 'git fetch' from time to time and 'git
merge' whenever a new version is tagged.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny