On Wed, 4 Jul 2012 20:06:58 +0200
Tobias Klausmann <klaus...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On Wed, 04 Jul 2012, Michał Górny wrote:
> > There's a very simple yet custom solution I'm using. Shortly saying:
> > checkout the kernel git to /usr/src/linux and chown to your user. As
> > far as it goes, it's superior to having kernel sources installed by
> > ebuilds.
> >
> > I just have to remember to do 'git fetch' from time to time and 'git
> > merge' whenever a new version is tagged.
>
> It is also beyond the package manager's control. That means users
> who want to just configure their kernel (and run point releases
> otherwise) have to actively check for new tags/versions.

True. I think that's the direction I should look into improving.

> Aside from that the git tree is not exactly lightweight: my
> current 2.6 checkout weighs in at 1.4G whereas the unpacked tar
> is 512M.

Well, that's the other problem. On the other hand, you usually have to
have that 1G free anyway unless you intend to manually unmerge
the previous *-sources before installing the new one. And the time
needed to do that... git is so much faster.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny