On 07/04/2012 01:58 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Jul 2012 19:46:47 +0200
> Tobias Klausmann <klaus...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> Recently, I have again bumped into the question whether one
>> should compile the kernel as root. One of the things that puzzles
>> me is why almost every HowTo, blog post and book recommends
>> building as non-root -- yet basically no distribution /helps/ the
>> user with doing that.
>>
>> I've discussed this with a few people on #gentoo-dev and they've
>> provided valuable insight (thanks AxS, Chainsaw and WilliamH), so
>> I have gathered the results so far here:
>>
>> http://blog.i-no.de/archives/2012/07/index.html#e2012-07-04T19_28_32.txt
>>
>> Feel free to comment (ideally here). Note that I'm aiming for a
>> solution that is not (overly) Gentoo-specific.
>
> There's a very simple yet custom solution I'm using. Shortly saying:
> checkout the kernel git to /usr/src/linux and chown to your user. As
> far as it goes, it's superior to having kernel sources installed by
> ebuilds.
>
> I just have to remember to do 'git fetch' from time to time and 'git
> merge' whenever a new version is tagged.

Honestly I'm not certain if there is an easy way to do this....

Obvious easy way, make the ebuilds install the kernel sources and chown
root.users then chmod g+w.  Of course, after this any user could trojan
the kernel...

We could allow writes in the directories but not to the kernel source
files themselves... that seems moderately sane even as the source files
don't need to be written to be compiled, only the dir's need write
permissions...

Thoughts?

- -Zero