On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Peter Stuge <pe...@stuge.se> wrote:
> Yes, but if the upstream that is Gnome decides to start depending on
> systemd features then that's their decision, and the place to discuss
> if it's good or bad (more important, the place to change it!) would
> be within the Gnome project.

More or less, but again my goal was not to start another discussion -
just to inform.  Anybody inclined to comment on whether this is good
or bad should go look at the list archives and see if any of the 400
messages in the last month already covered their points.

> I guess Gentoo will always continue to offer the best of upstream.

I don't think Gentoo has to limit itself to what upstream supports (I
don't think anybody would look at Prefix and say that this was what
any upstream had in mind).  However, the bottom line is that to do
something exotic takes effort, so nothing will happen unless somebody
makes it happen.

> OTOH, if upstream goes and make some change that means a regression
> for Gentoo users, then they deserve bug report floods from their users! :)

Perhaps, but don't count on it going anywhere.  With Gnome 3 they must
already have pretty thick skin.  I suspect upstream would say that if
you want a smooth desktop experience you shouldn't be running Gentoo.
To some degree they probably even have a valid point.  Gentoo is about
more than a just-works desktop so I think the best we'll be able to
offer is a "reasonable" experience.  If things get really integrated
you might see some Sabayon-like forks favoring particular DEs/etc, and
as long as those forks contribute to our main tree I think that is
good for all of us.

Rich